Based in Auckland, Jackson Russell has been helping clients with legal matters for over 170 years. They have the local expertise and experience to guide expats through complex New Zealand legal processes.
Whether you need personal or business legal advice, Jackson Russell will be able to help you with professional legal services. They will work with you to ensure the best outcome for your legal needs. They have years of practical legal experience across a wide range of situations and industries.
Legal for Expats in Auckland
It is advisable that you familiarise yourself with the basic laws in New Zealand before moving to Auckland, particularly those around your employment and property.
Key legal tips you should know as an expat in Auckland
- New Zealand’s employment law provides certain “non-negotiable” rights as an employee. For example, your employer must provide you with:
- a written employment agreement before you start working for them,
- a minimum wage, and
- four weeks’ holiday leave after 12 months of employment.
- If you are considering buying real estate in Auckland, you should seek legal advice before you sign a contract to buy.
- It may be time consuming and costly to validate a Will prepared in another country. It is advisable that expats moving to Auckland prepare a Will while living in New Zealand.
Legal for expats establishing a business in Auckland
- Seek legal advice when establishing your business to ensure it is set-up with an appropriate legal structure (as a company, trust, partnership or sole trader).
- Your employment contracts will need to include all the terms and conditions that New Zealand employees are entitled to, including minimum wages and holidays.
- If you are moving key employees to Auckland with your business, be sure to seek legal advice to ensure your employees are correctly remunerated according to New Zealand employment laws.
Download the Legal Auckland Chapter
The Legal Auckland Chapter written by Israel Vaealiki, Jackson Russell provides further detailed information about issues you need to be aware of in regards to Legal matters in Auckland.DOWNLOAD NOW
Expatland Global Network Pte Ltd is a separate entity to service providers mentioned on this website. Please read our full disclaimer here.