CST Legal is a boutique legal firm that takes a holistic approach tailored to their client’s legal needs.
The experts at CST Legal provide expert legal services and solutions delivered with accuracy to expats moving to Sydney.
CST Legal assists expats in:
- Estate planning
- Powers of attorney
- Enduring guardianship and wills
- Medical directives
Legal for Expats in Sydney
Australia is a highly regulated country. It can be a surprise to expats moving to Sydney the complex laws regarding employment or the amount of regulation involved in establishing a business. Australia operates under a system of common law which, unlike the civil law systems, uses the principle of case law to assist in determining legal outcomes.
Key legal tips you should know as an expat in Sydney
- Your foreign Will may not be legally effective in Australia so carefully check this point ahead of your move and prepare a new will once you arrive in Sydney.
- Your employment contract should be vetted by an Australian solicitor to ensure it complies with Australian law.
- Consider the need for an Australian power of attorney to replace any pre-existing foreign power of attorney you may have.
- When renting a property in Sydney, understand your rights, and it is advisable that you do not sign a lease without having it reviewed by a solicitor.
- If you have a foreign pre-nuptial agreement do not assume it will automatically operate in Australia.
- In Australia, an Advance Care or a Medical Directive speaks on your behalf if you are physically and/or mentally incapable of expressing which medical treatment you wish to have or be excluded from having.
Legal for expats establishing a business in Sydney
- Australia has complex laws regarding whether or not foreign persons can be directors or shareholders in private Australian Companies. Private companies are required to have at least one director who is an Australian resident.
- You must have a clear understanding of the legal status of your company as it should satisfy the requirements of a “Recognised Foreign Company” within Australia.
- It is advisable that you seek the services of a law firm to draft employment contracts for your employees to ensure you comply with Australian laws and provide the minimum entitlements legally available to employees.
Expatland Global Network Pte Ltd is a separate entity to service providers mentioned on this website. Please read our full disclaimer here.