NL Legal takes the time to firstly understand your needs in order to provide practical, realistic and commercial advice.
With a focus on corporate & commercial, property, franchising, trademarks and dispute resolution, they ensure that attention to detail and accuracy is maintained in all legal matters they handle for their clients.
Legal for Expats in Sydney
Australia operates under a system of common law which, unlike the civil law systems, uses the principle of case law to assist in determining legal outcomes.
Key legal tips you should know as an expat in Sydney
- Your foreign Will may not be legally effective in Australia so carefully check this point ahead of your move and prepare a new will once you arrive in Sydney.
- Your employment contract should be vetted by an Australian solicitor to ensure it complies with Australian law.
- Consider the need for an Australian power of attorney to replace any pre-existing foreign power of attorney you may have.
- When renting property in Sydney, understand your rights, and it is advisable that you do not sign a lease without having it reviewed by a solicitor.
- If you have a foreign pre-nuptial agreement do not assume it will automatically operate in Australia.
Legal for expats establishing a business in Sydney
- Australia has complex laws regarding whether or not foreign persons can be directors or shareholders in private Australian Companies. Private companies are required to have at least one director who is an Australian resident.
- You must have a clear understanding on the legal status of your company as it should satisfy the requirements of a “Recognised Foreign Company” within Australia.
- It is advisable that you seek the services of a law firm to draft employment contracts for your employees to ensure you comply with Australian laws and provide the minimum entitlements legally available to employees.
Download the Legal Sydney Chapter
The Legal Sydney Chapter written by Nicole Leggat, NL Legal, provides further detailed information about issues you need to be aware of in regards to Legal in Sydney.DOWNLOAD NOW
Expatland Global Network Pte Ltd is a separate entity to service providers mentioned on this website. Please read our full disclaimer here.