With the Coalition’s victory in May 2019 Federal elections, the immigration system is expected to continue the past six years trends. Prior to the election, Prime Minister Scott Morrison announced a cap of 160,000 migrants per year for the next 3 years.
Out of this number 30% will be allocated to the Family migration while the remaining 70% will be dedicated to the Skilled migration stream.
Out of the latter category, 39,000 visas in 2019-20 will be allocated to Employer Sponsored skilled visas, which shows an increase of almost 3, 500 places. However, the Government introduced stricter labour market testing, so that skilled migration is only used where an Australian worker is not available and stronger English language, age and work experience requirements are required.
Introduction of two new regional visa categories
Within the Employer Sponsored skilled visa scheme, a particular focus will be on the regional areas. The Government will introduce two new regional visa categories (Subclass 491 Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) visa and Subclass 494 Skilled Employer Sponsored) in November 2019.
Under these two schemes, skilled migrants will be priority processed and afforded access to a larger pool of jobs on the eligible occupation lists compared to those who live in the major cities. Also, skilled migrants will have a pathway to permanent residence under the Subclass 191 Permanent Residence (Skilled Regional).
Skilled Work Regional Scheme
This regional scheme will be reinforced by the Designated Area Migration Agreements (DAMA), which target specific skilled migrants to work in the regional areas of need.
With the DAMAs, the Federal government this year is aiming to provide more attractive incentives to the new settlers in Australia to avoid the big cities and settle in the areas that are not so populated and still requires the new migrants’ skills and expertise.
For this purpose, they have allocated a number of places, to encourage the new migrants to settle in the Northern Territory, the Great South Coast of Victoria, the Orana region in New South Wales, South Australia and Kalgoorlie-Boulder in the Western Australia’s Goldfields.
What this means for you as an expat moving to Australia
Expats seeking to move to Australia now have a greater opportunity to apply for a visa under the two new regional visa categories as there is a larger pool of jobs on the eligible occupation lists .In addition, their visas will be processed more quicker than other applicants as they are afforded priority processing. Expats in Australia who hold these visas will also have a pathway to permanent residence under the Subclass 191 Permanent Residence (Skilled Regional) Visa.
The team at Migration World are ready to and can assist you with all your questions and enquiries regarding the granting of a visa to enter and live in Australia