Schweizer Relocation is one of the leading providers of international relocation services in Switzerland. The company was incorporated in 2001 by Astrid Ohlendorf and is based in Zurich-Oerlikon.
Astrid and her team are committed to delivering the highest service quality; they communicate promptly, directly, and clearly and offer a sophisticated set of service packages.
Their exclusive digital relocation platform, ReX (Relocation Exchange), sets new standards in terms of the collaboration between clients and consultants. It makes relocating to Switzerland more efficient than ever before.
Schweizer Relocation assists expats in:
- Relocation support tailored to your needs
- Digital platform ReX for an easier and speedier relocation
- Sensitive and attentive support to help you adapt to your new surroundings
Relocation for Expats in Zurich
With its high quality of life and a thriving economy, Zurich is a great destination for expats. It may not be Switzerland’s capital city but Zurich is the country’s strongest region economically speaking.
Zurich is an ideal location for expats looking into starting a new career or business in a new city that offers opportunities for professional growth.
Key Relocation tips you should know as an expat in Zurich
- Over 60% of the Swiss population rent their homes. This is also the best way to start out in a new country.
- The housing market is very fast moving, and the vacancy rate is below 0.2%. It will be helpful to hire a relocation company, who will take care of the home search professionally.
- A lease agreement for an apartment within the city of Zurich usually comes with a minimum rental duration of 12 to 18 month after that period it can be cancelled without any obligations twice a year.
- The local city transport is excellent. There is hardly any need to own a car to get around. Therefore, only a few city apartments offer parking spots for rent. Also, the city of Zurich is continuously reducing streetside parking in favour of safe cycle routes.
- Pets such as cats and dogs are not tolerated in all properties. You will need to enquire about this with your landlord prior to setting up the rental contract or certainly before you are planning to get a pet.
- Sunday is considered a relaxation day, most stores are closed. In case you still need to get some groceries at larger railway stations you usually find a shopping centre with supermarkets open 7 days a week.
- In apartment buildings, rather than every apartment having its own washing machine, shared laundry facilities usually located in the basement are quite common. If you preferer to have your own installations lookout for modern or newly renovated apartments.
Relocation for expats establishing a business in Zurich
- Keep in mind that the nearer you are to the city centre, the higher the cost is going to be when finding an office space in Zurich.
- If you are going to rent an office space, you wouldn’t have to worry about paying for value-added tax as rental of business spaces is exempted from it.
- Take note of the other extra service costs when renting an office space. In some establishments that don’t offer an all-in price for rental fees, you’d have to include the costs for electricity, water, heating, and sometimes the WiFi network in your budgeting as well.
Expatland Global Network Pte Ltd is a separate entity to service providers mentioned on this website. Please read our full disclaimer here.